Sunday, March 30, 2008

what is the world coming to?

Please check this articles out:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/30breathalyzerct.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I find it interesting that the assumed solution to social problems is the development of new mechanisms through which to "police" individuals. The link above discusses the recent move by many schools to use breathalyzers to test whether or not their students have been drinking. Some test students before entering school dances; others check students who appear to have been drinking during the school day. I wonder how they think invoking fear of punishment solves the "problem" at hand.

This raises two issues. First, forms of punishment and control do nothing to eliminate the deeper issues that lead teenagers to drink in the first place. I remember first getting drunk when I was sixteen at a house party. My friend's mother frequently left her and her brother alone on Friday or Saturday nights. She saw the empty house as an opportunity to invite people over to use drugs and drink. We were too excited to act a fool and engage in these forbidden behaviors. Looking back, I have no idea how we even got the alcohol, aside from giving someone money and requests to get what we wanted. Even scarier is that I experienced a mild form of alcohol poisoning when I first got drunk (I still can't stand Captain Morgan's rum or pepsi). That night, I was so far gone that I couldn't think, walk (I fell down the stairs without realizing it), talk, or see clearly. I could've easily been raped, and I have no idea if the person who drove me home had been drinking.

I was lucky. Aside from waking up with a headache the next morning, I was alive and healthy. My early experimentation with liquor did not overlap an addictive personality or issues of depression that might have that led to habitual binging or alcoholism. Drinking did not become a way for me to self-medicate, and (for the most part) I quickly learned my limit when going out. Others have not been so fortunate.

Second, school attempts to regulate underage drinking through punishment reflects a disconnection of school administrators and parents from teenagers. Maybe they have forgotten how hard high school can be, when our bodies are changing, every test/fight/breakup seems like the end of the world, and we are children struggling to become adults. What is needed is more attention to the individual and their personal needs rather than dismissing teenagers as "problem students." They need to be listened to, heard, and validated. They need services and programs to cultivate their talents and interests. They need for adults to be open to talking about serious issues, proper education on drinking and drugs, and someone who can give them a safe ride home without fearing repercussions.

No comments: