I'm in the middle of reading this book on U.S.- Latin American
foreign relations, and learning about how the U.S. has fucked up almost
every attempt for sovereign nations to pursue social reform and
economic development in its own quest for "freedom" and "democracy." I
thought I knew something about the United States' foreign policy, but
I've never been so ashamed to be a part of a society- who's government
I don't even feel connected to -as I do now. Even worse, I now
understand that the model and language used to invade and destroy Iraq
began not after 9/11, but shortly after the U.S. claimed its
independence in the eighteenth century.
Even more frustrating is the blatant failure of the government to
properly respond to the struggling and displaced people of Louisiana
and Mississippi. I would expect that they ignore the thousands of
Blacks living in poverty in their daily lives. But to know that they
stand by knowing that people are without the resources to evacuate, and
then literally/physically pass by and ignore their cries for help,
blows my mind. Coming from an HBCU, I have a special place in my heart
for Black institutions of higher learning. Four have been damaged in
the past week. Who knows when and if they will be able to reopen. I
can't help but think of all the students of color who are affected.
What's more frustrating is the silence here at the overwhelmingly
white institution that is the University of Texas. No one has talked
about it. I've seen only one fundraiser (sponsored by a black
fraternity). The people in my program continue to plan for nights out
at the bar without even a moment of reflection. It's like damn, does
race really color your perception of humanity to the extent that you
are unaffected when hundreds of people seven hours away have died? Can
you not feel anything beyond keeping your blonde highlights fresh,
buying Live Strong bracelets, and giving a dollar for the Tsunami? I
know that I am preaching to the choir, but I am frustrated, and angry,
and feeling helpless. Our struggle is so deep within and so far beyond
the academy.
Sunday, September 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i feel you TK. i got brownie points today for attending a schmooze fest that of course had nothing to do with new orleans. nor was it mentioned. did you hear what mama bush said? read jalylah's blog. it's ridiculous!
Post a Comment